The Staff of Fingal Community College work in collaboration to offer a full range of activities which assist students to make informed choices about their lives.
For Secondary Students these choices are focussed in a developmental way on 3 key areas:
Personal – Educational – Vocational
Throughout their Senior Cycle Programme and their time at Fingal Community College students
will have experienced:
- Guidance in educational and personal learning management
- Vocational exploration and information
- I ndividual and/or Group Counselling will have been available for all students on requestand/or on referral
- Access to information which is appropriate for their personal, educational and vocational development
- Parent(s)/Guardian(s) will have met with the School Guidance Counsellor at Information Evenings, Careers Events and at organised Guidance Meetings on request
- Students’ needs – with regards to the Guidance and Counselling Provision will be evaluated and planned in partnership with Staff, the Principal/School Management on an on-going basis.
INFORMATION FOR STUDENTS
Guidance & Counselling Supports
As a student you will make significant decisions while still at school. These choices are related to personal and social issues, educational issues and vocational issues. Guidance Counsellors and School Counsellors are professionals with the expertise and knowledge to help you make choices in the three important areas outlined above. This is done through individual and group consultation, guidance classes and other activities.
We do not make your decision for you.
As a student in Fingal Community College the Guidance Counsellor and/or the School Counsellors will undertake, with you, some or all of the following:
- Help you explore your feelings about your present life situation
- Explore with you the choices that are open to you and the consequences of each choice
- Help you to come up with solutions to any problems you may be experiencing
- Offer confidential counselling, within the limits of the law, and/or advice on issues of a personal nature
- Provide information on various educational and training courses and/or employment opportunities
- Organise classroom activities where you prepare a CV and a letter of application
- Give you advice and help on study and examination techniques
- Administer Assessment and Aptitude Testing and Career Interest Inventories
- Explain to you, and your parent(s)/guardian(s) the CAO System and assist with application
- Provide information on Access Schemes for Third Level Education and information regarding costs of further studies and financial assistance
- Provide information on studying abroad and assistance with international applications