French, German & Spanish
The modern languages you can learn for Junior Certiﬁcate at Fingal Community College are French & German. In learning a modern language, you will begin to understand what you read and hear, and to talk and write in the language.
What will I learn in a modern language?
Some of the things you will learn include:
- how to speak in the language about yourself, your family and friends, your hobbies, your school, etc. This will help you to talk to people who speak the language
- the skills of listening to, reading and writing in the language
- the grammar of the language
- information about the countries where people speak the language, and their way of life.
How will I learn a modern language in school?
Some of the things you may do with your teacher and your classmates are:
- work on your own, in pairs and in groups
- learn through activities and games
- use textbooks and other materials
- watch ﬁlms, listen to songs and look at pictures & posters.
Some other things that will help you learn in class are:
- asking questions
- taking notes and keeping your work in a folder
- speaking the language as much as you can, in and out of class.
You will learn the language in small blocks which you will build upon as you go along. But remember, learning a language is like making a jigsaw: you need all the pieces!
How can I learn more about a modern language outside of school?
Some of the things you may do are:
- ﬁnd out information about the language you are learning and the countries where they speak it
- carry out research on the Internet. Ask your teacher for a list of websites
- ﬁnd speakers of the language as email pen-pals to communicate with over the internet
- use a library for books, DVDs, magazines, dictionaries, etc.
How will I know how I am getting on?
Your teacher will let you know:
- what you have done well
- how you can improve your work.
Other things you may do are:
- ask a friend to look at your work
- look back over your work to see how you have improved
What are the modern language Junior Certiﬁcate exams like?
In each of the modern languages:
- you will listen to and answer questions on conversations, news items, etc. in the language
- you will read and answer questions on texts like advertisements, articles, recipes and celebrity proﬁ les in the language
- you will write texts like notes, cards and postcards in the language.
You can take each exam at Higher or at Ordinary level. When the time comes to decide, your teacher will help you choose the level that suits you best.
Is learning a modern language anything like what I did in primary school?
You may have been learning English, Irish or even a modern language already, so you already know a lot about learning how languages work. This will be of great help to you as you make comparisons between the languages. It may also help you to guess the meanings of words and phrases in the new language you are learning.
Will the modern languages be very different after the JuniorCertiﬁcate?
By studying a modern language in Leaving Cert, you will continue to build up your knowledge of your chosen language, the way of life of the people who speak it, and you will continue to use the language for a whole variety of purposes. It is important to study a modern language for Junior Certiﬁ cate if you wish to continue studying it for the Leaving Certiﬁcate.
Having a Leaving Certiﬁcate modern language is an entry requirement for many Irish universities.
Will a modern language have anything to do with other subjects I will be studying?
Yes, it will. You will ﬁnd links with History, Geography, other modern languages, English and Irish.
How will a modern language be useful to me?
You will ﬁnd modern languages useful in your personal life for travelling and in many careers including tourism, catering, education, business and translation services.
For more information about the French & German Courses:
For more information about the modern language Junior Certiﬁcate exams:
For more information about modern languages